Subject: Re: redoing unnecessary targets when a do file is modified but the output remains unchanged

From: Andrey Dobrovolsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2021 01:52:06 +0300

Hi!

I was fascinated by redo idea after opennet.ru announced Your goredo
release, Your habr article helped a lot too, thanks for both!
Now I use my fork of Leah Neukirchen's redo-c. The problem You are
talking about bothered me too, and I've solved it in my  dev2 branch
at github.com/AndreyDobrovolskyOdessa/redo-c. This branch is for my
personal use, I am "noname" programmer and am not much interested
(yet?) in multi-threaded redoing, that's why current version is
single-threaded. But hashed dependencies allow to do only what is
really needed to be done, and that's really great!
The idea is, that while dependencies description allows, we can
recurse down the dependency tree until we will find something, that
really is to be done, and then we continue execution in down-to-top
manner, checking hashes at every node. This took full rewriting, but I
am satisfied with the result, and now consider the current version
utilizing full power of hashed dependencies.
I will be glad if my solution will help You with Your excellent project.

Regards!
Andrey Dobrovolsky