Subject: Re: [PATCH] Don't create nested target directories automatically

From: Sergey Matveev <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2022 19:23:16 +0300

*** Andrew Chambers [2022-04-15 12:55]:
>If a user mistypes a rule, goredo creates those directories automatically
>leaving junk on the filesystem. This change means higher level rules must
>create those directories explicitly if needed.

Actually I was aware of automatic mistyped directories creation when I
talked with the baredo's author. And actually my first intent was
prohibiting "mkdir -p" behaviour indeed too. And I also gave the same
suggestion to use "mkdir -p $2:h"-analogue in default.do-files. But
baredo's author calls that "mkdir -p"-like behaviour a feature, very
convenient feature other implementation lacks and he explicitly added
that behaviour to his implementation too.

Personally I have never mistyped my targets (do not know why), so have
never noticed that unexpectedly left garbage. But if users find that
side-effect as a feature, not a bug, I decided to leave it as it is.

-- 
Sergey Matveev (http://www.stargrave.org/)
OpenPGP: CF60 E89A 5923 1E76 E263  6422 AE1A 8109 E498 57EF