Subject: Re: goredo gets confused with relative paths and symlinks

From: Sergey Matveev <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2025 15:12:58 +0300

*** Rafael Fourquet [2025-10-23 16:58]:
>1)  the "bug" I reported happens even when there is no symlink within
>the "redo project" itself.

Questions and problems with symlinks were raised a while ago in that
maillist and I remember that basically they are not solvable in general
case. spacefrogg's advice not to use symlinks is best we can do.

>IOW, I think it's definitely a bug for goredo to interpret the failure
>of ` unix.Access(doFile.rel, unix.X_OK)` to mean that the file isn't
>executable, when in fact it just means that the file is non-existent

As I can see, Access() will be called only if do-file is found. It
should return earlier if it was not. Or maybe symlinks completely breaks
absolute/relative paths resolution and indeed it deals with different
views to the same file?

http://harmful.cat-v.org/software/symlinks
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/79571/symbolic-link-recursion-what-makes-it-reset/79621#79621

-- 
Sergey Matveev (http://www.stargrave.org/)
LibrePGP: 12AD 3268 9C66 0D42 6967  FD75 CB82 0563 2107 AD8A