Subject: Re: goredo gets confused with relative paths and symlinks

From: Sergey Matveev <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2025 16:59:42 +0300

*** Rafael Fourquet [2025-10-24 15:45]:
>The archive seems to have it:
>http://lists.cypherpunks.su/archive/goredo-devel/[email-masked]/

Hm, that is strange. My mail server delivered it to the maillist
properly, but cut it while delivering to my mailbox. Very strange.
Will look why that could happen and investigate it.

>It seems that's exactly what happens. The do file was determined to exist
>(and `doFile.a` does indeed exist, and is executable), but
>the `Access()` call is done on `doFile.rel`, which does not exist in the context
>of my example.

That sucks. Symlinks can complicate things so much indeed.

>But I don't think that calling `/bin/sh` on that executable file is acceptable.

Agreed, calling /bin/sh on executable is an unacceptable thing. Code
just does not expect that there could be an error about missing file it all.

I will think about that later, at least not earlier than Sunday (pretty
busy right now). I am not sure that you fix is a good thing: I am sure
that there are many other strange unexpected things could happen because
of those symlinks. So maybe I should check if there is some
"desynchronisation" between relative and absolite paths occured and
preventing running further at all, as I think noone can give enough
guarantees of any workability in presence of symlinks. Currently can not
give right answer. Will see soon. At least I will make a new release
with your patch.

-- 
Sergey Matveev (http://www.stargrave.org/)
LibrePGP: 12AD 3268 9C66 0D42 6967  FD75 CB82 0563 2107 AD8A