Subject: Re: Unexpected behavior in redoing target with missing .redo info

From: Sergey Matveev <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2025 16:45:03 +0300

Greetings!

*** Sergey Matveev [2025-12-12 18:38]:
>I think that "source file" is a file which does not have build
>instructions (corresponding .do file). So we should use the same logic
>of do-files searching for the consistency of the behaviour.

As I mentioned previously, that also means that every file nearby the
default.do will be treated like a non-source one. In theory every
default.XXX.do nearby must be recreated from default.do, in that case.
But I think that this is not convenient for most purposes. XXX.do and
default.YYY.do must be treated like a higher precedence build rules.

In goredo 2.7.0 they behave that way as before -- nothing changed. But
unfortunately they (those .do-s) were always treated like out-of-date
targets. In 2.8.0 I fixed that: if file is not a source file (it has
.do, possibly default.do), but it has .do suffix in filename, then
treat it like a source one.

I am not fully confident about those changes, but seems they break
neither any previous expected behaviour, nor always-OOD some targets
like in 2.7.0.

-- 
Sergey Matveev (http://www.stargrave.org/)
LibrePGP: 12AD 3268 9C66 0D42 6967  FD75 CB82 0563 2107 AD8A