Subject: Re: Tarballs availability over IPFS

From: Sergey Matveev <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2026 13:25:56 +0300

Greetings!

Unfortunately I became disappointed with ipfs (again), because of its
relaying abilities. Shame on me, because I had to check that feature
before trying to use in practice.

I setup an isolated Jail environment with three nodes, where two of them
have restricted connectivity because of firewall. And after dozens of
configuration file changes I still was not able to relay the data
through the intermediate node. According to ipfs/libp2p's documentation
it should solve exactly that problem.

And also it leads to consumption of much (tens of gigabytes) "inactive"
memory on my FreeBSD. Seems that this is because of LevelDB, where
mmap-ed pages are copied from ZFS ARC and cached in that "inactive"
memory. And there is no other storage alternative for non-/blocks.
Making it very resource heavy.

So, getting rid of ipfs installation.

-- 
Sergey Matveev (http://www.stargrave.org/)
LibrePGP: 12AD 3268 9C66 0D42 6967  FD75 CB82 0563 2107 AD8A