Subject: [govpn-devel] State of the project

From: Sergey Matveev <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2020 13:46:12 +0300

Greetings everyone!

As someone mentioned, there are years of inactivity of the project.
Honestly I have lost any interest to the project and have no plans
returning to project development. It was great experience for me anyway.

Shamefully for me I still had not merged patches from Bruno Clermont
supporting Android, Windows and macOS platforms. I apologize for that.

Currently there are no projects with all features GoVPN has, like mutual
zero-knowledge strong augmented password authentication, encryptionless
mode and (trying to be) indistinguishable from the noise packets. But
few people (if any) are interested in them in practice, let's be honest.

Personally I use IPsec (strongSwan IKEv2 daemon) everywhere. Its very
important feature is the ability to secure metadata like packet's
sizes: there is ESPv3 TFC padding and support of dummy empty packets.

Also I find WireGuard (https://www.wireguard.com/) project is very
attractive and it solves exactly the same problems as GoVPN when it was
initially started: simplicity and state-of-art algorithms and protocols.
Seems that WireGuard completely satisfies all that requirements and have
much higher support and development level. However I have not played
with it much. It have user-space Go implementation working with TUN
interfaces.

Also Yggdrasil (https://yggdrasil-network.github.io/) project is very
interesting too and I have very positive practical experience with it.
It is aimed for mesh-networks building, but it also could be easily used
for only two participants. It is also written on Go and uses TUN
interfaces.

-- 
Sergey Matveev (http://www.stargrave.org/)
OpenPGP: CF60 E89A 5923 1E76 E263  6422 AE1A 8109 E498 57EF