Subject: Re: [nncp-devel] EOF while decoding 8 bytes / message authentication failed

From: Sergey Matveev <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2019 12:01:06 +0300

Greetings!

*** Frank Doepper [2019-12-17 16:26]:
>And, next bug report, it seems to me that the -onlinedeadline option is
>completely ignored, both on the nncp-call cmdline as in the call or caller
>config.

Well, either bug is somewhere really exists, or there is some
misunderstanding of onlinedeadline option. It is just a time when no SP
packets received and we will close connection. onlinedeadline 60 means
that if no packets from both directions are not passed during the
minute, then we will close connection.

Each node could have its own onlinedeadline value, independent from
remote side. So if our local node is told to use 60 seconds, but remote
one uses default 10 seconds, then that remote node will close connection
anyway after that 10 seconds (if no SP packets are passed during that
time).

For example my remote node (gw.stargrave.org) is configured to use 3600
seconds and I call it locally:

    % date ; nncp-call -onlinedeadline 10 gw.stargrave.org:main ; date
    Fr. 20 Dez. 2019 11:47:15 MSK
    2019-12-20T08:47:15Z Connection to gw.stargrave.org
    2019-12-20T08:47:25Z Finished call with gw.stargrave.org: 32 KiB received (32 KiB/sec), 32 KiB transferred (32 KiB/sec)
    Fr. 20 Dez. 2019 11:47:25 MSK

    % date ; nncp-call -onlinedeadline 60 gw.stargrave.org:main ; date
    Fr. 20 Dez. 2019 11:47:31 MSK
    2019-12-20T08:47:31Z Connection to gw.stargrave.org
    2019-12-20T08:48:31Z Finished call with gw.stargrave.org: 32 KiB received (32 KiB/sec), 32 KiB transferred (32 KiB/sec)
    Fr. 20 Dez. 2019 11:48:31 MSK

So it works as expected. I also checked that configuration file's call
settings onlinedeadline works too.

-- 
Sergey Matveev (http://www.stargrave.org/)
OpenPGP: CF60 E89A 5923 1E76 E263  6422 AE1A 8109 E498 57EF