Subject: Re: Tarballs availability over IPFS

From: Marek Küthe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2026 10:47:18 +0000

On Fri, 20 Feb 2026 00:22:35 +0300
Sergey Matveev <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Several years ago some foreign networks started to reject/ban traffic
> to/from Russian networks. Hetzner and other German ones come to mind
> first as an example. Cloudflare and OVH were also known to partially
> block access to their networks too.

Do you have any further information on this? Is there a list of
providers who do this? For my own projects, I would like to avoid
hosting providers that artificially restrict connectivity.

> I am aware only of Western-located websites capable of hosting free
> software projects (SourceForge, GitHub, similar ones). Because of
> obvious reasons (of being under sanctions) there is no legal possibility
> to use any of those services for hosting the tarballs/website. People
> were suddenly banned (for example on GitHub) even just for visiting the
> sanctioned regions.

Have you tried Codeberg (https://codeberg.org/)? It is run by a
non-profit association in Germany. I would be surprised if they banned
someone without reason (at least for me, nationality is not a reason in
the FLOSS community).

> One notable exception was Yggdrasil overlay network. Comparing to its
> predecessor -- cjdns, which tended to segfault occasionally when
> connected Hyperboria network, Yggdrasil is pretty stable and reliable,
> as I can see for several years of its non-heavy usage. NNCP's Metalink4
> .meta4 files contained y-reachable links (y.www.nncpgo.org) a long time
> ago because of that.

I didn't know that the NNCP website is also available via Yggdrasil.
Maybe you could add it to the internal services so that it's easier to
find?
https://yggdrasil-network.github.io/services.html

-- 
Marek Küthe
[email-masked]
er/ihm he/him