Subject: Re: [EN] NNCP 7.1.0 release announcement

From: John Goerzen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2021 20:30:52 -0500

On Tue, Jul 06 2021, Sergey Matveev wrote:

> *** John Goerzen [2021-07-05 16:38]:
>>What's odd is that it corrupted about 5 out of 15 files that 
>>were generated
>>at the time -- and they were all small ones.  The bigger ones 
>>were fine.
>
> Currently I can not reproduce that issue locally. I use 
> "nncp-exec -"
> analogue for all my email -- have never seen that kind of 
> issues.

Thank you for 7.1.1!  This release is now working perfectly for 
me!  I am excited to try out the multicast stuff now.

I dug into this some more.  I was able to reproduce it, but I now 
know why you couldn't.  It was, in fact, not actually introducing 
corruption but somehow re-delivering files that had been sent a 
day or two ago.  Why, I have no idea.  How, I also have no idea. 
Where, I don't know either.  But once those got flushed out of the 
system, everything was fine.  No more dupes so far.

grumble grumble about ZFS's error message "cannot receive: failed 
to read from stream".  I eventually was able to verify sha256sums 
matched, and then turned on zfs receive -v for verbose mode... and 
the error was basically attempting to receive a snapshot that was 
already present.  It was an old nncp-file packet that somehow got 
re-delivered and re-processed, and the same went for all the 
others also.

I am sorry to have sent you on the wrong chase for that!

- John