Subject: Re: Timeouts on slow connections

From: John Goerzen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2023 10:04:42 -0500

On Thu, Sep 28 2023, Sergey Matveev wrote:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> *** John Goerzen [2023-09-27 23:14]:
>>I never really got it working in this scenario.  I think the problem was
>>bufferbloat combined with very slow connection and low timeouts.
>
> "Slow" is a relative thing. Previously I check workability with
> firewall's traffic shaper, that passed only 64Kbps of traffic in single
> direction. And everything worked. But indeed bufferbloats and large
> delays could be a problem.

Yep, I saw several MB tick over almost immediately in the -progress
display.  I can't remember if it was 2MB or 10MB, but in any case it was
quite a few, on a connection barely faster than the 64Kbps you tested
with.  My guess on what happened is that it queued up all that stuff to
send, then timed out while the queue emptied.

I did a very brief search in the code for this timeout and didn't find
one.  Is there a way we can dramatically increase or eliminate that
timeout?  (onlinedeadline could, of course, still take effect for people
that need it)

Thanks,

John