Subject: Re: [EN] NNCP 5.5.0 release announcement

From: John Goerzen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2021 07:43:54 -0600

On Fri, Jan 08 2021, Sergey Matveev wrote:

> *** John Goerzen [2021-01-07 15:23]:
>>	previous declaration at 
>>golang.org/x/term/term_unix_aix.go:9:26
>
> It looks like your Go thinks he is both AIX and Linux. I have 
> copied
> golang.org/x/term without any modifications from the upstream. I 
> assume
> that you probably have old Go version what does not know 
> anything about

Yes, Debian stable and Raspbian both ship with 1.11.

> Currently (in develop branch) NNCP uses golang.org/x/term 
> instead of
> golang.org/x/crypto/ssh/terminal, that anyway depends on 
> golang.org/x/term.
> So that "term" dependency anyway is there and upstream has 
> knowledge
> about AIX. I suggest you to update your Go, that will also bring
> performance benefits as a rule. Or just: find . -name \*_aix.go 
> -delete

That's a good enough workaround, yes.

> I have tried Go 1.10 -- the same problem as you have.
> I have tried Go 1.11 -- same problem.
> I have tried Go 1.12 -- build/test is ok.
>
> So I will update documentation and raise Go's 1.10+ version to 
> 1.12.

Understandable, but a bummer; it raises barrier to entry, 
especially on Raspberry Pi.  On Debian, there is 1.14 in 
buster-backports.  Raspberry Pi OS / Raspbian doesn't have 
backports, though in practice the Debian buster-backports work 
there at times.  It may be a bit dicey with something like this in 
the toolchain, though, because part of why Rasbian exists is 
optimizations for its particular architecture that the more 
general Debian distro doesn't do.

Previously, one could just apt-get install golang && PREFIX=blah 
./contrib/do install

Anyhow, thanks again!

- John