Subject: Suggestions for newbie accessibility

From: John Goerzen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 09:13:04 -0600

Hi,

We've got a small group of people in the NNCP Matrix channel I mentioned
yesterday.  One of them is working on getting it set up, and based on
the questions he's had, I thought I might mention these suggestions:

- On the build instructions doc page - nobody has redo installed or
  really knows what it is.  Rather than the default being to show using
  redo, have the default be "./contrib/do" and mention alternatives
  below.

- After figuring out contrib/do, he built it fine on a desktop but then
  had the 32-bit problem I mentioned building it on a Raspberry Pi and
  didn't know where to go with that.  This makes me think that if gvisor
  stays in NNCP, it should be disabled by default, or at least disabled
  by default on 32-bit systems.

- It might be useful to have a sort of tutorial illustrating generating
  a config on two systems, copying the neigh/self blocks between them,
  authorizing them to do things, etc.  I could volunteer to write this.

These two are more speculative but I suspect could also be helpful:

- Enabling multicast discovery by default could be a nice touch.
  Syncthing and Yggdrasil both do that and it seems to work well.  It
  might be nice to have nncp-call have a "wait for address" capability
  to wait for an address for a one-off call, similar to nncp-caller.

- A default call configuration could also be nice for people playing
  around with nncp-caller for the first time.

Thanks,

John