Subject: Unexpected EOF in 7.2.0

From: John Goerzen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2021 10:23:01 -0500

Hello,

I have a 3GB packet that was transferred from its origin to my 
gateway machine via nncp-call.  When called on it, nncp-check 
works fine and verifies its integrity.  However:

nncp@nncp:~$ nncp-toss -progress
2021-07-09T15:10:27Z ERROR Tossing 
mccoy/74HUFHYZOB7J7MLU7SHKTRODN7OH7HRLSSTKWEEDKNMXLOJBDI2Q: 
unmarshal: xdr:DecodeFixedOpaque: unexpected EOF while decoding 8 
bytes - read: '[]'

And the log shows:

When: 2021-07-09T15:12:13.896311727Z
Err: xdr:DecodeFixedOpaque: unexpected EOF while decoding 8 bytes 
- read: '[]'
Who: rx-unmarshal
Node: NE2CD32WK62N3QWWQLJUZXVX2WZAIMM7DBIXQVJTFDSXHAWSULBQ
Pkt: 74HUFHYZOB7J7MLU7SHKTRODN7OH7HRLSSTKWEEDKNMXLOJBDI2Q
Nice: 226
Msg: Tossing 
mccoy/74HUFHYZOB7J7MLU7SHKTRODN7OH7HRLSSTKWEEDKNMXLOJBDI2Q: 
unmarshal

(this is a transitional packet)

Also:

nncp@nncp:~$ nncp-pkt -dump < 
/var/spool/nncp/NE2CD32WK62N3QWWQLJUZXVX2WZAIMM7DBIXQVJTFDSXHAWSULBQ/rx/74HUFHYZOB7J7MLU7SHKTRODN7OH7HRLSSTKWEEDKNMXLOJBDI2Q
main.go:163: unexpected EOF

These commands that return with "unexpected EOF" are returning 
almost immediately.  They could not possibly have processed 3GB 
like nncp-check does.  If I omit -dump from nncp-pkt, it works 
fine.  I tried reblocking with dd, and that didn't help either.

This occurs both with go 1.14 and go 1.15.

The only unique thing here is that it's from a new node on my 
network.

Other packets from that node were processed successfully, though 
they were much smaller.  I tried removing the .hdr file and that 
didn't help either (it was recreated).

Thanks!

- John