Subject: Re: nncp-redir

From: John Goerzen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2021 08:03:38 -0700

On Wed, Jun 30 2021, Sergey Matveev wrote:

> I will write nncp-trns (transition, that "trns" is already used 
> in many
> places in NNCP) utility for wrapping/redirecting packets through 
> another
> node(s).

Thank you!  That makes good sense.

I haven't really had a need for multicasting (though I definitely 
see your point about why it can be helpful), and as you say, that 
could also be resolved at the software layer.

I have a related question about -via.

I over-simplified slightly in my initial explanation.  In reality, 
baksvr has no direct Internet access; there's a separate 
langateway on the network.  So what I had to do is:

nncp-file -via vps,langateway filename baksvr:

Now, the nncp.hjson on vps for baksvr configures it to be via 
langateway.  Initially I had forgotten about langateway and wrote:

nncp-file -via vps filename baksvr:

which didn't work, as they got queued up on vps for a poll from 
baksvr that would never arrive.

So my question is, how does -via interact with the nncp.hjson via? 
I vaguely remembered that one wouldn't necessarily have to spell 
out the entire route initially, and could let, for example, vps 
figure out how to get a packet to its destination if it had a via 
entry.  But I may be misremembering that.

Thanks again!

- John