Subject: Re: NNCP road warrior

From: John Goerzen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 15:13:22 -0700

Hi Sergey!

On Sat, Jan 08 2022, Sergey Matveev wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> *** John Goerzen [2022-01-06 14:54]:
>>One is Yggdrasil network, https://yggdrasil-network.github.io/
>
> I like Yggdrasil because it is written on Go and have never seen any
> fault with it, like it was happening with cjdns in Hyperboria. I thought
> about using it as a VPN replacement, but because it works on top of TCP,
> I abandoned that idea (efficiency questions).

I had concerns around this too.  I haven't done a direct comparison to
Wireguard, but so far it is performing really well.  I suspect this is
due to two things:

1. Configuring the interface for extra-jumbo packets (nearly 64K in most
cases)

2. Setting the TCP congestion handling algorithm to bbr

I don't have data to prove it, but I strongly suspect that these two
measures together would be in the same range of performance as UDP-based
algorithms except for the lossiest of links.  Plus they avoid some of
the problems that the UDP-based algorithms can have around MTU.

> Appears that the problem you are trying to solve is just the lack of
> availability of some computers over the Internet. And the root of the

More it's the "I've got backups on my laptop and I want to get them
somewhere that's not my laptop at all costs, even if the intended
destination is down, so that if the laptop crashes, I don't lose the
backups with it."

- John