Subject: Re: Areas interaction causes nncp-toss to always exit with error

From: John Goerzen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 17:46:30 -0500

On Sun, Oct 31 2021, Sergey Matveev wrote:

> seen-packet is created when nncp-file/whatever creates outgoing area
> packet. In my case it faulted because of different NNCP version.
> Probably something similar on your side?

Thank you Sergey!  In my case, all three workstations that could
generate packets are on 7.7.0.  The host alexandria, which relays
between them, is on 7.6.0, but alexandria never originates area packets
itself, and lacks the private keys to it.  alexandria is also the only
"subs" entry for the workstations.

Would that 7.6.0/7.7.0 difference be enough to account for this?

> I have completely not looked at NNCP for a long time, sorry. And still
> have not enough time to dive in all that error-related issues.

Completely understood!  That is how Free Software works.

You are very much tempting me to either learn Go or attempt to write a
compatible implementation in Rust.  Hmmm.... Since I also don't have a
lot of free time, learning Go will probably be what happens :-)

John