Subject: Re: Efficiency of caller/toss

From: John Goerzen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2021 08:07:49 -0500

On Thu, Sep 02 2021, Sergey Matveev wrote:

> *** Sergey Matveev [2021-08-23 17:10]:
>>And they exists. I tried https://github.com/fsnotify/fsnotify -- 
>>no
>>issues (except for 
>>https://github.com/fsnotify/fsnotify/issues/389).
>
> Several days ago I used fsnotify in NNCP:
> http://www.git.cypherpunks.ru/?p=nncp.git;a=commitdiff;h=726c119e6b2340994ada9fbd0e252acd31fb78b5
> Currently no issues and problems discovered. It reduces 
> unnecessary
> directory listing calls. But I have not seen drop of CPU usage. 
> truss
> shows that there appeared huge quantity of nanosleep() calls, 
> that have
> not seen before fsnotify usage. Probably that is the issue 
> related only
> to Go+FreeBSD+kqueue. I have not check that commit under 
> GNU/Linux
> currently.

I tried to test this on Linux with strace, but got certificate 
errors trying to download balloon.  I'm not familiar much with Go 
(if this was written in Rust, I'd contribute code; but since I 
don't have time to learn Go right now, I contribute enthusiasm 
<grin>) and couldn't immediately find a way to solve that issue 
with "go mod vendor" that it told me to run.  I assume you do 
whatever magic is needed when you build the tarballs.

- John