Subject: Re: [nncp-devel] crash in nncp-toss from mail packet

From: "Shawn K. Quinn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2017 04:23:14 -0600

On 01/15/2017 02:02 AM, Sergey Matveev wrote:
> *** Shawn K. Quinn <[email-masked]> [2017-01-15 04:46]:
>> This is from feeding nncp-mail a short test message from the command
>> line by hand, on the system tossing them. Even if I'm doing it wrong,
>> this really shouldn't happen.
> 
> Fully agreed that those kind of errors must not occur at all. Fixed in
> https://git.cypherpunks.ru/cgit.cgi/nncp.git/commit/?h=develop&id=8cfca6f25358b2ce75abd2b410e28e5b5008413b
> it is because "sendmail" configuration field is not set for the node.
> No it will skip this packet with warning message about unconfigured
> sendmail.

OK, noted. That means we need this to be explained in the documentation,
which thankfully is something I can help out with. I plan to submit a
patch fixing as many grammar, spelling, and other minor errors that I
can find in the texinfo file as time allows (hopefully next couple of
days, but certainly by the end of January).

It would make more sense to me, BTW, to allow defaults for all nodes for
the incoming, freq, and sendmail options, with pattern matching
substitution for node names (for incoming I would still find separating
by sending node useful as opposed to lumping it all in one place).
Perhaps by allowing a configuration section "default:" similar to the
current "self:"? I can think of more cases where I'd want all nodes to
be able to send files to me and freq files from me than I would where
I'd want only some.

Also, is it necessarily a design goal of the project for everything to
be written in Go? I am considering writing a GUI front-end but I am
completely new to Go and I am reading that desktop GUI apps are so far
not a common use case for Go.

-- 
Shawn K. Quinn <[email-masked]>
http://www.rantroulette.com
http://www.skqrecordquest.com