Subject: Re: New -autotoss option

From: Sergey Matveev <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2021 13:00:05 +0300

Greetings!

*** John Goerzen [2021-01-07 15:32]:
>In other words, every time we transition in state from "remote host has
>packets for us" to "remote host no longer has packets for us", we toss.

There is no such kind of states inside, that is why there is just
timeout mechanism based on onlinedeadlines. So there will be always
race: toss may be started, but actually remote side's packet was already
on the wire. Toss will burden the drives, possibly making data transfer
slower.

However the same applies to nncp-toss running in background. I think
that will be relatively easy to run tosser when connection is alive
either after some timeouts after the last packet were received, or just
every second (that has little overhead). I think it will be useful for
not keeping nncp-toss running if no connections are made at all.

So I will add it ((optional) tossing while the connection is online),
but probably not on current week.

-- 
Sergey Matveev (http://www.stargrave.org/)
OpenPGP: CF60 E89A 5923 1E76 E263  6422 AE1A 8109 E498 57EF