Subject: Re: ANN: Tunnelling NNCP over (ssh, sudo, tor, S3, Nextcloud, syncthing, uucp)

From: Sergey Matveev <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 21:30:46 +0300

*** John Goerzen [2021-08-20 07:36]:
>> http://www.nncpgo.org/PPP.html
>It is a nice solution!
>- Often requires special privileges (root) to establish

Yeah, that is true.

>- Carries security implications

Well, also true. Personally I always run firewall, so just remember
about it all the time.

>- Less efficient than certain UUCP protocols or ZModem for really  slow or
>half-duplex links

Well, technically it should be of course slightly less efficient because
of PPP, IP and TCP header sizes, but with high MTU it should be not so
considerable overhead. The main issue is window scaling algorithm and
TCP on null-modem and similar links is good enough. Also PPP exists in
OS (*BSD) out of box, comparing to UUCP or ZModem-utilities. And also it
allows online protocol usage immediately. I am not trying to persuade
PPP usage, just personally my struggles stopped me at that solution :-)

-- 
Sergey Matveev (http://www.stargrave.org/)
OpenPGP: CF60 E89A 5923 1E76 E263  6422 AE1A 8109 E498 57EF