Subject: Re: Tarballs availability over IPFS

From: Sergey Matveev <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2026 19:10:36 +0300

Remark: my initial message was mistakenly sent to previously existed .ru
domain, and John replied to me and that non-existing domain. That is why
I manually resent his message to the list. My bad. Still left .ru domain
in my mail configuration :-)

*** John Goerzen [2026-02-19 17:14]:
>Sorry for the slow response here!

No hurry!

>I fixed that and had a successful sync!

Great! I really hoped that at least SSH will be working between our
hosts, which would be more than enough. All those DPIs bring much
uncertainties. Glad that your mirror stays more than useful because of
that! Thanks you!

>I'm noticing that the direct links to the downloads in the Tarballs.html
>page are gone.  That does make it more difficult for people, since meta4
>software isn't common and opening it up to manually extract a URL isn't
>necessarily an easy thing for people.  It would probably be good to have
>the tar links again.

I assumed that user will display those XML .meta4 files and manually
will be able to choose preferred way of downloading. Definitely there is
not much software capable of using those metalinks directly.

Well, if the lack of (single) direct link is so noticeable, then... ok,
returned it back. Was not completely sure about that idea too.

-- 
Sergey Matveev (http://www.stargrave.org/)
LibrePGP: 12AD 3268 9C66 0D42 6967  FD75 CB82 0563 2107 AD8A