Subject: Re: Tarballs availability over IPFS

From: Sergey Matveev <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2026 21:08:01 +0300

Greetings, Marek!

*** Marek Küthe [2026-02-20 10:47]:
>Do you have any further information on this? Is there a list of
>providers who do this? For my own projects, I would like to avoid
>hosting providers that artificially restrict connectivity.

No, did not note those events. I remember that for example GNU Guix
project quickly became unavailable in 2022:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2022-03/msg00004.html
issues.guix.gnu.org is still not available at all, having its IP in
ASN: 210482, City: Frankfurt am Main, Region: Hesse Country: Germany.
lists.gnu.org was unavailable for a long time (something like two
years), but now works fine.

No more details I can remember, but often heard from other
maillists/blogs that their upstream (trunk) networks blocked (some)
foreign networks. I am subscribed to 500-600 feeds and keep
metainformation where they are located (what CDN/cloud provider), so
when either of sites is unavailable, I look at their IP addresses,
traceroutes and similar things. But I kept no detailed statistics/logs.
Some of them work occasionally. Some of the sites moved to different
locations. Now it more unclear, in case of unavailability, to tell who
is responsible for that, because so many hops and participants involved.

>Have you tried Codeberg (https://codeberg.org/)? It is run by a
>non-profit association in Germany. I would be surprised if they banned
>someone without reason (at least for me, nationality is not a reason in
>the FLOSS community).

Have not tried, no. Actually I do not remember when last time I used any
source code hosting facility, as everything is hosted on my servers. But
connectivity issues of Splinternet forced me to revive memories about
those services.

I can remember no official bans related directly to nationality, but of
sanctions. Legally it is easier not to deal with a person who possibly
has any connections to sanctioned entities. I remember that FSF clearly
stated that it had to comply with sanctions lists. And it is also
non-profit organisation, like Codeberg. I *assume* that it also had to
comply with German laws, which automatically means complying with EU
sanction-relation ones. But I do not all those differences in laws and
regulations, just an assumption.

Tried to register on it, but it tells that I have got to run their
JS-application to proceed further. Well... maybe some day I will try
again. In general I do not have JS-capable browser and refuse to run
some unknown downloaded software. Only exception I remember is to use
separate machine with LiveCD only to use my domain name registrar's
web-interface, as there is absolutely no choice among them, and at least
it is required once per year to prolong them. But I am disappointed that
Codeberg requires that (because of Forgejo underneath?) :-(

>I didn't know that the NNCP website is also available via Yggdrasil.
>Maybe you could add it to the internal services so that it's easier to
>find?
>https://yggdrasil-network.github.io/services.html

In that case that single site has to have a separate IP address. My
Yggdrasil node uses single main IP address on which my ordinary clearnet
HTTP server listens. It has to get Host-header to understand what site
it must serve. All my y.www.nncpgo.org, y.www.stargrave.org,
y.www.cypherpunks.su sites has the same Yggdrasil entrypoint.
Well, why not? Will differentiate them indeed. I have got 54
services/domains shared on that single IP address, that was the main
reason I was lazy to deal with that :-)

-- 
Sergey Matveev (http://www.stargrave.org/)
LibrePGP: 12AD 3268 9C66 0D42 6967  FD75 CB82 0563 2107 AD8A